Wednesday, October 3, 2012

10,000 Hours

It is said that it takes a total of 10,000 hours of practice to truly master something.  With busy schedules, deadlines, and other obligations to tend to during the work/school week, some may wonder if this is humanly possible, which it is.  The key is maximizing time efficiently and being dedicated to spending a generous amount of time per day building mastery, whether it be of a sport, craft, or learning how to play an instrument.

As I am in the process of taking both small and monumental steps towards a rewarding career, I've gravitated towards self help books as of lately that focus on using creativity and passion to produce profitable career paths.  A law of thumb that I appreciate so much more now that I'm older: reading is fundamental.  In the book I am currently reading, Outliers by Malcom Gladwell, the author puts quite an emphasis on the 10,000 hour rule. 

This rule was a study conducted by Dr. K. Anders Ericsson regarding time management and how important it is if you really aim to be an expert, the absolute best at whatever you do. Using known renowned innovators, such as Bill Gates, famous athletes and musicians for examples, Gladwell illustrates the point that it will require a great deal of sacrifice to envelop the greatness of the success stories that so many of us admire. With these real life examples, he shows the reader what separates high achievers from the average Joe, without going into details about individual experiences or cultural background. So far, I think this is a really great book to invest in and would highly recommend it. 

In the middle of working on a few things for my brand last night, I came across an article via Black Enterprise, because the title alone intrigued me enough to read it: 168 Hours to a Career Breakthrough.  Again, yelling in my face, loud and clear, was this idea that time is a sole beneficiary of success.  The humorous part is this is not real news to me.  I know this. However, how much time have I spent this week bored, surfing the web, pointless socializing or sulking in some way or the other about life's problems?  Quite frankly, given the approximate calculation, not enough time investing in my dreams. The level I want to be on requires more of that loosely distributed time. For anyone who wants to be successful, time reaches beyond our immediate understanding of it and is definitely a mindset to develop and for me personally, there is so much work to be done.

The night is winding down as I was writing this and I find that it is the best time for me to think..to write..to create; my creative juices flow so much better at night.  At this very second, I'm resting my thoughts on time, what area I need to pick up the slack in, and what things am I willing to give up in order to make time to practice, mentally preparing to make today, tomorrow, and the next day another step closer.

 In closing I ask, doors of opportunity are waiting to be opened.  What are you doing to open them?
-Chymere Anais

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I like this. I remember the way I figured out my time was I sat back and wrote out a schedule by the hour. I made a list of times starting from 6am all the way until 2 am. Because that is usually the time I awake and the latest I go to sleep. I used this time map to write down exactly what I did each hour and the trick was NOT TO LIE to yourself. Once you began tracking your daily activities, you can easily figure out where you waste time instead of asking yourself "where the time goes". That was the reason I made the Time Management post.

    I'm even more grateful for the Life Reset Challenge that KimberlyLuxe put together because it FORCED me to remove certain things that are valueless but was taking up time.

    I love the ending question and I love Black Enterprise. Great Article.

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions