Saturday, October 6, 2012

Soundtrack Saturdays: Vol. 25 {Upcoming Albums}

Upcoming/recent albums I am looking forward to:

+ R&B/Hip-hop edition +
  • "Life is Good" (2012) -Nas: Let me start by saying that I have been a die-hard Nas fan since Illmatic (1994). Was I too young? Probably, but my parents have always supported my obsession with [good] music. That's the beautiful thing about classics; they get better with time. It's crazy to me that finally, after his 10th studio album, people are just now starting to realize the poetic greatness of Nasir Jones.  With that being said, I haven't yet purchased his most recent album, because of that popularity factor.  Sad to say, but I've noticed that once artist become mainstream popular, they become too commercial for my personal taste, especially rappers.  Not to say that this one is not a substantial, true to himself album, because I haven't heard the entire album yet to have an opinion. However, I do plan to support him regardless and determine what I think when I listen. Plus I love what I've heard so far. Now that I think about it, I believe I will make it my mission to buy that album today! Do any of you have it? What to you think in comparison to Illmatic? I guess you'd have to be a true Nas fans answer that. And in honor of him, he's the feature artist for today's SS.
  • "R.E.D. (Realizing Every Dream)" (2012)-Ne-yo, which is scheduled to be released: November 6th.  Although I was in Best Buy on September 18th, searching like a feign for that album, I suppose I'm willing to wait one more month.  The stand out reason why I love Ne-yo is he stays true to ballad, even when it comes to sexual songs, that a lot of male R&B artist in a pop era deviate from.  He always puts out incredible music, he writes incredibly fitting lyrics for other renowned musicians, and the way he carries himself is just...sexy!
  • "Food & Liquor 2" (2012) -Lupe Fiasco: What I said about Nas, is pretty much the same sentiments I feel when it comes to Lupe Fiasco, yet different reason why I don't have the album yet.  In recent interviews and from some public social media, he seems very angry and anti-government these days, or should I say a lot more vocal about his position when it comes to politics.  There is a line to draw when it comes to music, just because the amount of influence one individual can have and political views through lyric is just not one of those things that should just be left out of discussion all together.   It's like I have to mentally prepare myself to listen to his work.  It's like having a conversation with someone who is a incredibly smart, self proclaimed guru. As a fan, however, it wouldn't be right for me to wish he'd dumb it down (no pun intended). I don't know...it's hard to explain; I don't want to sound like a breathing oxymoron. I really do admire his passion. On top of that, people have been using music to speak up for decades, so I guess I can't be too mad at that.  Perhaps, what I look for now is equilibrium, an equal balance between music to drive to and conscious music.  Accepting him for who he is, I still would like to take the time to hear what he has to say, because I think he's just misunderstood and clearly goes beyond the level of a 'normal' rapper.
  • "Unapologetic" (2012)-Rihanna:  At 7 am yesterday, Rihanna leaked her potentially controversial album cover/name via Twitter.  Surprisingly, I'm really anticipating what's next from her. Because of some of her poor personal choices, I've been skeptical about admitting  actually liking her, but to this day, I still enjoy Rated R (2009), Loud(2010), Talk that Talk (2011), 3 consecutive years of impressive work, if I must say so myself.  In a way she grew on me, due to the observation that I relate to her more than I originally thought. The more I mature, the less I detach celebrities' personal life from their music, if I just so happen to enjoy them as an artist.  I've followed her musical career since Music of the Sun and there has definitely been evolution since then.   Every album, to me, is reflective of her in some way and expresses her experiences.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig