Saturday, November 17, 2012

Soundtrack Saturdays: Vol. 30 {Bossa Nova}

Music is pretty much an important element of my family's cultural dynamics, which is the main reason why it plays such a heavy role in my life today. Growing up, I was always exposed to a variety of music. Even though my house was always full of different sounds from around the world, jazz was always the dominate genre.  There was something incredibly therapeutic about the smooth sway of melodies that rang throughout the confinements of our home. With intentions  to create a peaceful ambiance this week, my musical mood was definitely a reflection of my Latin roots. All week long, I studied, worked, and played with the fond memories of childhood by dancing around the apartment to bossa nova inspired jazz.  It has a funky, yet sweet rhythm and even with added vocals (usually Brazilian, Portuguese, or Spanish lyrics) is so beautiful. Every time I hear it, I fall in love with how it flows so romantically.

Today's feature artists, Stan Getz & João Gilberto completely set the tone for my environment this week. The letras, or lyrics, of this song are poetry of a once harmonious love story that began to lose its tune. To me, it's one lover trying to explain to the other that the love they share is meant to be. I also love Ella Fitzgerald's upbeat, slighly paraphrased rendition of this song. Take a listen and I hope you enjoy!




"..I hope you weaken, oh my love
And forget those rigid rules that undermine my dream of
A life of love and music with someone who'll understand
That even though I may be out of tune
When I attempt to say how much I love you
All that matters is the message that I bring
Which is, my dear, I love you..." [English trans.]
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig