Saturday, December 8, 2012

College Diaries: Graduation Season.

"...Congratulations/ On all the big moves you're making/ Despite adversity you're facing/ I'm so proud of you..." -PJ Morton


♥ ♥ ♥
 This morning I woke up in an emotional frenzy. Today, like any other day, a major shift was developing in the universe. The difference in today was in my own reality, yet another graduation would be missed due to the surrounding circumstances at hand. Realizing I would not be able to witness an added set of comrades walk across the stage and in the midst of flustered sadness, I claimed a moment I did not rightfully own.  Selfishly, the only thought that crossed my mind was ‘everyone is leaving me’ and I would be left to navigate joys and hardships of the rest of college alone. Then it hit me: the speed of progress varies with the person and all our paths are different.  

The phases of life, even the often excruciating transition between each one, are sometimes hard to accept, especially when it means waving goodbye to certain experiences and individuals.  However, those changes happen, designed to bring new opportunities to surface andpromote the inevitable, progressive movement of life. Each day, I learn more and more how to embrace those changes peacefully and without question.

The limited view of today’s events eventually transformed into happiness, as I realized being happy for other people requires one to ignore personal feelings and circumstances to express happiness in spite of. Every time graduation season rolls around, I tend to fall into this state of mind where I am feeding into the bad habit of comparison, a side by side evaluation of my life and their life (against whoever they may be). It has taken me a while to understand that just because someone has reached a certain level of success before I do,doesn’t mean the path I’m taking is the wrong or less successful one. 

Good things come to those who work.  Hard work fails to recognize time, but continues with great humility until completion. I can’t think of the accomplishments of friends and family as people I love leaving me, when they have worked extremely hard to earn their hat of honor.  It’s selfish, unfair, and disrespectful of me, especially to those cherished people who have always lifted me higher in moments of triumph and will always be in my corner to cheer me on.  

So in honor of people graduating today, my college friends, many who I consider to be true lifetime friends, I congratulate you all.  I am so proud, for you have finally reached the end of a hard road to celebrate a huge milestone and this is only the beginning. I am honored to be in your vicinity and I hope each of you continue walking with great confidence towards your greatness.

Besos,
Chymere Anais




SHARE:

1 comment

  1. That's a beautiful attitude. It is always tough when we feel like we are being left behind, but you hit the nail on the head with your sentiment about change and opportunity because having some things leave your life, makes room for new things that can be great as well. Continue to focus on the journey that is for you.

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions