Saturday, December 29, 2012

Soundtrack Saturdays: Vol. 35 {Musical Year In Review}

Inspired by The Indie Byline, I've also decided to do a play list of the 12 songs in 2012 that were in heavy rotation all year.

1. "Those Who Wait" x Daley
I listen to this song daily and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it more than a couple times on this blog.  The dream chase gets tough and the message in this song about unyielding hard work and patience really speaks to me.  In 2012, this song became my anthem indefinitely.

2. "Poetic Justic" x Kendrick Lamar ft. Drake
It never occured to me that hip hop could match with the sultry voice of Janet Jackson's Anytime, Anyplace and still be seductive.  Usually, when classics are tampered with, it doesn't sit too well with me. And it's no new news that I will always absolutely love that cool underground Cali kid, Kendrick Lamar. Sexy wordplay, dope beat, and genius in my opinion.

4. "Love & War" x Tamar Braxton
For a tune that recently made its debut, this song can easily be R&B song of the year.  I absolutely love it. Passion without off key yelling and lyrics that are honest.  I didn't start watching The Braxton Family Values until last season and I've always thought that Tamar was just being silly about her diva aspirations; only to find out she is actually quite talented.

4. "Thinking About You" x Frank Ocean
This song put Frank Ocean on the map. Much like many others, I can appreciate when an underground artist goes mainstream, but continues to  stay true to his/her artistry.  Other than that, I think it's the ultimate I-have-a-crush-on-you song.

5. "Every Single Night" x Fiona Apple
At first, I thought this song was a little odd. It was even more so after watching the video. However, it's one of those songs that had to grow on me, and when it did I loved it.  Drawn in perplexing metaphors, the poetry of the song, to me, is regarding the conflicts of mind and heart, when all she as a woman wants to do is be able to feel everything. At its core, I can relate.

6. "Cherry Wine" x Nas (Amy Winehouse)

When I tell you I am completely in love with this man...I was estatic when I discovered Nas would be putting out new music this year. Of course I wasn't disappointed, as I expected nothing less than greatness from him.

7. "Nobody's Business" x Rihanna &Chris Brown
Originally written by the legendary Michael Jackson, fresh off Rihanna's most recent album, Unapologetic, is a song I've come to love unapologeticly. I didn't want to admitt it, but I do. Now I have my own views about the CRK triangle, but I've never been the type to fault someone's music for their personal decisions; that has nothing to do with me. I love the house music feel to it, the lyrics, the tempo...it's just a feel song and who can't appreciate a feel good song?

8. "Is Your Love Big Enough?" x Lianne La Havas
This is most definitely a big band, big voice, big meaning type of song.  Everytime I hear it, it makes me happy instantly.  It reminds me of those summer days of raging freedom perusing the city, lost in music, exploration and youth.  It makes me want to live my dreams! It's just a great tune, from an incredible artist, and I feel so ashamed that this is my first time presenting it to all of you (who haven't heard it yet.)

9.  "Gods & Monsters" x Lana Del Rey

This song is really dark and cynical, but it was one of those creations I could relate to in my darkest moments. When it comes to art, I've realized, the art often is a structure of some dark mental breakdown, yet still is beautiful in that way. And the moment I understood the depth, I found an appreciation in the song itself.

10.  "Adorn" x Miguel

Instantly fell in love with this song the first time I heard it as background song on show, The Game. I went through heaven and back trying to figure out who sang this song, lol. It's just so sweet and romantic!

11. "Mercy" x G.O.O.D. Music ft. Two Chainz
One of the most epic radio hits of this decade, this is amazing collaboration with some of hip-hops greatest artist.  For some reason though, it was the center of religious controversy, which lead me to believe that certain things are just read too deeply into. I digress. In my opinion, this was a great musical landmark for modern day hip hop.

12. "Money on the Floor" x Big K.R.I.T. ft. 8-ball, MJG, &Two Chainz
This was the ultimate instant "turn up" song this summer, and not necessarily in a drinking sense.  I didn't think about the lyrics much; just good ole country rap with a hot beat that I can ride to.

What were some of your fave tunes of 2012?

@ChymereA
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. You're welcome girl :) Yo! #2, #3, #4, #7, #8, #10, & #11 are all my joints lol. I will be looking up the others and adding them to my iPhone asap. Favorite off your list is a tie between Miguel and Kendrick, those songs are just...amazingness

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions