Thursday, January 17, 2013

In My Natural State.

I've always been a natural girl. When I was younger, the pressure to get a perm that 'tame my curls' was strong, but the chlorine from swimming would do too much damage. I had to deal with my hair the way it was, which back then was more of a chore than an act of self-love. A few times I tried weave, but was always self-conscious about wearing it. Through much trial and error, experimenting with different styles, I found contentment with my curls. Over the years, taking good care of my hair has gotten easier.  Now that there is an array of resources on how to properly treat/manage natural hair to keep it strong and healthy, I'm finally learning how to embrace it. And honestly, I've never felt more beautiful.
 

Chymere Anais
 
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Awwww! I love reading stuff like this because it truly encompasses how much women affiliate our identity with our hair (especially women of color). I had no idea you were natural until now! And I agree with you on the community for natural hair growing that has made embracing our true selves an easier transition. I love seeing afros on my sistas. I love this post.

    Thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've embraced your nu growth! Check out my natural hair blog, CurlyNuGrowth.com :)

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions