Monday, February 11, 2013

A Rant About Living

There is something so exquisite about really living, actually being present in this moment. Technology has made it easy to slip away from reality and share moments and unedited thoughts instantly.  In more ways than one, we seemed to have lost a zest for life.  Why can't people learn to really enjoy the days we are given by spending quality time with our selves and people we love, without thinking every clever punchline spoken has to go on twitter, every photograph on Insta-gram? Instead of reveling in the company of one another in conversation and pictures just for the sake of having a collection of meaningful memories, we have chosen to have outburst of fragmented conversations and instant pictures to share with "the world" rather than with the individuals right in front of us.  

Slowly but surely, the ways of this generation are becoming irrelevant to me, annoying in a sense. IG is the first on my list to go, but I'm pretty sure I'll be making a new one, only sharing moments from time to time and being more cautious of the people I follow.** Not sure how long my personal Twitter account will stay open, but I will continue in modesty. Of course, I am guilty of interrupting my own life just to read everyone else's updates, investing an ungodly number of hours talking about nothing, and waking up in the middle of the night to Tweet rather than pray, write or meditate, but more and more I'm being attentive to my priorities. This does not imply that I'm against social networking, because I'm not. My focus is just shifting to the most important part of life, which is living.  

Does this mean I'm getting old,  elusive to modern day commodities and wishing the world would slow down just a little bit? Perhaps. Maybe it's the writer in me, the photographer in me, or even the child in me that was so much happier when things were simple.  Blogging has fortunately created a space for me to share pieces of me.  Whenever I feel inspired to write, I am able to do so with careful concentration. Here, I have a purpose. However small or large my audience is, they always have the opportunity to access my complete thoughts through archives, rather than me expressing something meaningful only to get thrown in a gulf of 1,000 other thoughts/ideas/rants per second once the news feed is refreshed. I just think that these social platforms have ultimately created a reason for people to dumb everything down and not know how to breathe, let alone function properly, without them.  Most of us are lost as to how to use them in beneficial ways.  Communication is such an incredible and powerful instrument, but what exactly are we saying?

I've always wondered what would happen if one day technology crashed unexpectedly with no hope for resurrection. What would we do then?

Chymere Anais


SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I love this! I agree, you spend so much time either documenting your own life or following the moves of others on social media outlets. I think it would be so hard to let all of that go. Good luck!

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it would be hard to let it all go...one will still stand, just not sure which one. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Chymere, can I just say that I really enjoyed this post. You were very open and expressive as always. If I could have hung my head down while reading this I would have. I find myself doing all of these things. Funny, that you mentioned deleting your IG. I actually went on a fast from FB a little more than 2-years ago and never went back.

    I hope it works for you.
    -Courtnee
    callhercourtnee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!. And honestly I'm missing IG already. Maybe I'll make a new one in a month or so. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Such a thoughtful post. Social networking certainly has its pros and cons. I have to be careful to keep it in moderation. I keep telling myself to choose one day each where I don't get on any social media or blogs, but I have yet to do that. I just don't want to be too attached to it. And I don't want spending what's supposed to be family time, being distracted by all my social networks. Trying to stay mindful about it all. This post was a perfect reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could give yoi that friendly reminder! Thanks for reasing and commenting!

      Delete
  4. You make some interesting points! I always think social networking is a way to turn us into our own 'celebrities' in a way. To have people retweet and like our posts make us feel important in our own little way - I think that's way so many of us have become addicted to it!
    Great read :)
    Saadiya x

    www.thatgirlsaadiya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with GG. It's definitely something that should be done in moderation so when you're able to find a balance, it doesn't drain you. Well at least for me. I loved reading this post. I deleted my personal twitter in Sept of last year when Kimberly did the FWB Challenge. I tried to retrieve it later on but it wouldn't let me. I didn't get mad or anything, I just laughed and I simply took that as a sign because it was something I had been wanting to do for quite some time. That was definitely a waste of time in my book. And I couldn't be happier.

    I wish you the best.

    Miss Daja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for relating. I think I had a relapse and may possibly creating a new IG account today. Moderation right?

      Delete
  6. I read this joke on instagram (of course) but it said something like, "we go to a restaurant 'check in' on facebook, talk about it on twitter, take a picture of our food post it on instagram THEN we eat."

    I love this post and I feel the same way as you do sometimes, maybe I'm just getting old? I don't think so, I think it's wanting to actually enjoy life while we're in the moment. I deactivated my facebook a few weeks ago after I realized I was at a concert posting about it on fb; I was missing the actual concert bc I was telling people about it.

    And you're right, social networking is dumbing everything and everybody down. I partially blame social networking for my rapid decline in reading actual books. I'd rather spend hours checking the sites.

    We need to take steps back and learn how to live without the need of everyone's "likes".

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions