Thursday, May 2, 2013

Organic Living | Vegetarian Shopping Cart + Meal Planning


It's pretty much been a V-prep weekend for me, since I decided to restart my vegetarianism journey. It baffles me that I really believed that one day I would automatically morph into a no-tolerance-for-meat-whatsoever vegetarian overnight.  It is a process and for someone who grew up on southern cooking and fried chicken, it is a difficult one indeed.  So, I am slowly entering this world again, even if that means I have to skip on going out to my favorite restaurants with my meat-loving friends for a few months.

Last Friday, I had to go in for surgery. Nothing major, but while I was still in recovery, I remembered all the reasons why I wanted to be a vegetarian in the first place, the stand out reason being healthy living.  The 20's are said to be the most pivotal time in a person's life, because that's when the body naturally builds an immune system around the lifestyle. Basically, it's that time period when taking care of your body to avoid serious complications later is vital.  It occurred to me how much I've been slacking when it comes to the promises I made so that I could be in tip top shape well before I hit 30. On top of my original reasons, recently I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is a twist to why healthy eating habits is more important than it has ever been.

All of that prompted me to create/write out a meal plan for this week, which I will be doing from here on out. Although it didn't include every little thing to eat for the week and specific times, it had what I ate and recipes I found online that I've been wanting to try for my main meals, mostly for dinner.  The domestic side of me had so much fun in the kitchen this week, especially while trying out these new recipes, such as black bean burgers {pictured} with my music blasting in the background. Below are links to recipes that I found and my new goal is to try a new recipe every week. So just in case any of you were thinking of switching things up in your own kitchen, here's some ideas: 
The best way to grocery shop are trips to Sevananda, a natural foods market here in Atlanta, which is were I go to stock up on items that I need to add to the kitchen for my meal plans. I love this little place so much, just because it has a great selection of reasonably priced fresh fruits,veggies, healthy replacements for junk snacks, body products, etc.  I also like Trader Joes and Aldi has really inexpensive options as well. Here is a list of what was in my shopping cart: 
  • Almonds
  • Strawberries
  • Mango
  • Peaches
  • Kiwi
  • Bananas
  • Spinach
  • Amy's frozen dinners
  • Black Bean burgers/burritos
  • Dried banana chips
  • Dried cranberries
  • Chickpeas
  • Greek yogurt
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Basil leaves
  • Coconut milk
  • tapioca flour
  • Granola
  • Agave nectar
There have been a few other motivators outside of myself who have indirectly encouraged me to get the ball rolling on this road to a better quality life, I'm confident that I have the tools I need to transition right into this lifestyle gracefully.

@ChymereA

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig