Wednesday, July 17, 2013

On Trayvon Martin

A huge part of me wants to write my piece on the social injustices that surrounds young minorities, but I haven't found the right words to say.  How am I supposed to project it in such a way, so I don't sound bias or angry? How do I put my heart on the line for my voice to be heard? What do I say what I want to say without pointing fingers and something that will remotely make a difference? How do I travel through all the details to spark a discussion of things people are scared to talk about? I don't know the answers to any of those questions, and because I don't know, it's hard to write anything at all. 

On top of that, there is so much other stuff happening in the world that I want to speak on without losing my own sense of self, without stumbling out of balance, without misplacing my own happiness in the process. I have to be careful of how much of my energy I feed into negativity. On the other hand, I have no clue about how am I supposed to stay silent/nonchalant through all of it. 

Most people fail to realize that letting George Zimmerman off guilt free digs way deeper Trayvon.  It just hits close to home, because I have brothers, cousins, and friends, who look and dress like him, that could very well be approached by the same Zimmerman with a different name and it will be them [in the grave] against the law and bad public attorneys. So as I'm building up to write something that makes a difference, I'm speaking on the behalf of so many individuals who either think they don't have a voice or who don't the means to express themselves on a legal level without anger; and quite frankly, that's a heavy load to carry. 

To Kimani Gay, 
Kendrec McDade, 
Travares McGill,
Ramarley Graham, 
Ervin Jefferson,
Wendell Allen,
Tyrone Brown, 
Alonzo Ashley, 
Steven Washington, 
Amadou Diallo.
Patrick Dorismond. 
Quamane Zongo,
Timothy Stansbury, 
Sean Bell, 
Orlando Barlow, 
Aaron Campbell, 
Victor Steen, 
Ronald Madison, 
James Brisette, 
Oscar Grant, 
Jordan Davis, 
Kenneth Chamberlain, 
Abner Louiama,
And those I failed to mention.... 
I'm working on something that will be good enough for them.

However, I do know that something must be done in a timely, so that another Martin vs. Zimmerman case doesn't happen again.  At that point, the question becomes: 'What can be done to reverse the systematic racism?' because what is being done so far is apparently not working in the favor of those who these crimes are against.  Yes we are angry. Yes we are hurt, but it's not enough to just go through with the emotions today and tomorrow view it as just another thing that happened. The voice that stands behind these trials aren't loud enough to overpower what is tolerated. 

Whatever message I feel God-inspired to script, I want to to be loud and obnoxious, globally viral and in the hands of millions for decades so that even the echoes are cohesive enough to comprehend. Not sure when, but it's coming and I pray it's everything I hope it to be. I apologize if I'm late at all. 

Chymere Anais

Resources:

----------------------------------------

U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I applaud you for bringing light to the fact that the fight is not over and it doesn't have to be over. We can sign petitions and try to get a Civil Rights case against him. However, I do agree with you that something must be done to avoid incidents like this in the future from happening. There is such hatred in the world at times and the value of another life has gone down based off of skin color alone. I think that's a terrible, awful reality and I hope with more time, people will change.

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig