Thursday, August 22, 2013

Game of Thrones

Up until yesterday afternoon, I had no clue what a graphic novel was.  Initially, as I flipped through the pages of my new book, I immediately wanted to switch it with the copy that was just words.  With high expectations to dive into a normal picture-less novel, I was a little taken back by what appeared to be a never ending comic book. Prematurely, I assumed it would be hard to follow.  It had been years since I'd read comics and it wasn't my intention to start again now.  Slowly, I began to admire the artwork and before I knew it, I was held captive for 2-3 hours.  In one sitting, without even realizing it, I finished Vol. 1 (a total of 6 issues) of Game of Thrones.  

This book is fascinating to me, because it's a world I've never held much interest in up until this point.  The plot has a lot of flashback points that cause the reader to have to reference back to previous points, but the more you get into it, the better it is.  To me, it is a page turner, so full of intricate, compelling story lines and mystical characters. I was unexpectedly, yet completely blown away by the author (George R. R. Martin) and the illustrator's (Tommy Patterson) brilliant use of imagination and dialogue. Now, after reading the first book, I completely understand the hype. And there is no way I'm stopping here.

So far, I'm taking a liking to Jon Snow, Arya Stark, and oddly enough, the sarcastic and witty little Tyrion Lannister. ..Oh and Daenerys Targaryen (Khalees!). Careful not to spoil anything for others who may be interested in crossing over to "the dark side", I won't go into elaborate details for each character, but I will say that I believe each character has a layer of me embedded in them, which is usually the driving force behind audience and character connections

Outside of Twilight and Lord of the Rings, maybe even Star Wars, I've never been a huge fan of science fiction.  That all changed the moment I opened this book.  It's that incredible. Not only am I on a mission to finish the entire book series, I feel inclined...obligated even...to reading the original novels, watching the TV series, participating in nerdy G.O.T. forums, and become heavily consumed with all aspects of King's Landing and its inhabitants. Okay, maybe my new born obsession won't be that serious, but according to the Preface, no two ways of expressing the storyline are the same, so I'm curious to know the differences and how the same story is being told through its multi artistic mediums. So yes, Mr. Martin and all who helped create this epic fantasy, this book has definitely served as a gateway drug for me.

"Winter is coming."

Besos,
Chymere Anais




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig