Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Creative Habit


If I could rewrite any book word for word with the insurance that I'd remember to apply everything it taught me for the rest of my life, it would most certainly be 'The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life' by: Twyla Tharp.  This book is absolutely incredible. It's amazing how much I have learned so far and the best part about not being finished yet is that there is more to go.  Who knew a renowned choreographer , a person so skilled at something I've never been good at, could turn out to have such a gigantic impact on my life and turn out to be a role model, someone I admire and highly respect?

This book could not have waltz into my life at a more precise time. It's not the first occasion where the title itself caught my interest nor is it the first time I had intentions to actually read it, but it is the first time I've actually picked up a copy.  Though it is a pretty easy book to get through with uncomplicated, yet relatable language usage, I pause for a good 10-15 minutes after every chapter, just to let it all marinate. When I finish, I'll probably skim through for reference purposes. I rarely do that with books. The last book I did that with was 'Eat, Pray, Love' by: Elizabeth Gilbert. It's hard to pick which quotes are my favorite or which part resonated with me the most.  Both books, however, provoked a colossal amount of perspectives about myself and the world around me.  On a few occasions in my reading, it felt like Twyla Tharp was holding up a perfectly cleaned mirror up to my face, forcing me to evaluate my own progress, especially when it came time for the exercises between chapters. Because of that connection, I'm able to see myself and each of my creative pursuits in a brand new, incredible light. 

Only 5 out of 12 chapters deep, I've found incredible inspiration and gained exceptional clarity, which was a surprise to me.  It is motivating me to keep pushing forward in all my endeavors and keep finding ways to feed, harness, and cultivate my creativity. If I could financially support the idea, I would purchase copies and gift it to every artist I know. (Now that I think about it, I just might do that, splitting the occasions between Christmas and Birthdays...and to those artist who read my blog, regularly, I apologize for spoiling the element of surprise.) 

Anyway, if you, like me, strive everyday to live a more creative life, I highly recommend this book. If it completely transforms your lifestyle and takes you to the next level of your thought processes, I proudly say, 'You're welcome in advance." I really wouldn't suggest dreaming without this guide on how to dream.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. nice!! sounds like a book I'd love too! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check it out...and no problem!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this book, but I think I gotta go out and cop it now because a creative life is so important to me! Thanks fellow writer for the rec :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prepare for a total mind explosion! This is definitely an essential for every artist' bookshelf!

      Delete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions