Saturday, November 30, 2013

Soundtrack Saturdays: Vol. 78 {Sailing Out + Black Radio 2}

Albums I've Been Listening to: 

  • Sailing Out x Jhenѐ Aiko
  • Black Radio 2 x Robert Glasper
Lately, I've been obsessing over the melodic and mellow sounds of these two very different (however, equally satisfying) compilations. The jazz piano of Black Radio 2 caters to my inner piano lover while Sail Out just has a nice, slow tempo bass to vibe to. Yet again, Glasper collaborates with some amazing artists, as he did on the first Black Radio, who really compliment his talent, such as Common, Marsha Ambrosius, and Emeli Sandѐ, to name a few. Taking the time to study his work a little deeper is rewarding in itself, because it has been so long since I even touched a piano and now I'm inspired to get back to where my love of music really started.  I'm a little rusty, but it feels good to be in that space again. 

Jhenѐ has this soft, angel-like voice that makes whatever her voice touches on any given track absolutely compelling and she really has a beautiful way with words. Lyrically, her art seems to reflect her spirit, which is always a good thing.  11.12.13, she graced the world with her first studio album as a sequel to the 2011 Sailing Souls mix tape.  What really makes Aiko stand out is how outspoken she is about her own experiences, perils, and triumphs via her music, which is especially refreshing, to say the least. My favorite songs from this very short LP are Bed Peace (ft. Childish Gambino), Stay Ready (ft. Kendrick Lamar), and The Vapors.

Although it's not really on the subject of what I've been loving as of lately, I can't wait to do another vinyl update for SS, which probably won't be until after the holidays. Fortunately, my hobby of collecting vinyls has become something like a repeated trend so contemporary album's are now available on vinyl and I'm like a little girl in her favorite candy store, only with more selections...pretty sweet! 

What albums are you currently loving?

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I've never heard of Robert Glasper, and given your review of his work, I'm sad I haven't. I definitely need to write his name down and give his work a listen because from what I've read, he seems amazing. I'm a sucker for a piano man. And I'm happy you're as in love with Jhene as I am :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people haven't and unless you're just really into the instrumental aspect of things, musicians like him are pretty under the radar. I highly suggest you check out his other work...he's incredible.

      And yes...I love me some Aiko!

      Delete
  2. Have you heard J'hene's cover of Keep Ya Head Up? I've listened to it on youtube countless times, and yes, her voice is sooo angelic. That being said, I can only listen to her if I'm in a certain mood... i guess I just wish she played more with her vocal range? I feel like we have yet to see her really blossom, but I'm looking forward to when she does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea I did and it was incredible. I definitely don't think she's reached her fullest yet, but this has been my mood as of lately...really chill and mellow.

      Delete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig