Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Reflection on Feminism

As of lately, the word feminism has been floating around more than I've ever witness.  To me, it's beautiful that more women are embracing the concept of being a feminist, even if it is a trend.  And I think it's a garment that has to be proudly worn and definitive of the woman wearing it.

In my opinion, a feminist is a woman who stands firmly rooted in her own beliefs and practices, someone who is confident, influential, well balanced, and strong, and someone who disagrees with the socioeconomic stigma that women are, somehow, inferior to men. Her lifestyle is one that promotes the equality of the sexes in a society without a hostile attitude as a weapon towards men, because she understands the balance of masculine energy.  She is beautiful for her intelligence, her ambition, her passion, and not limited to her sex appeal. With that definition in mind, I dedicate a considerable amount of time and work becoming a reflection of that woman. 

In modern day culture, Beyonce may be to blame for bringing more awareness to the feminist movement, especially with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's feature on one of the most talked about songs on her recent self-titled album, Flawless. The album as a whole was a boldly deliberate compilation bursting with an adrenaline rush of freedom and sexuality. It was, once again, a powerful statement of what it means to be a woman-something like a point of revolution for her career as an artist-and I completely respect her for it.

There is an additional list of feminist I personally admire, such as my Aunt Dianne, Alice Walker, Alicia Keys, Karen Marley, Nikki Giovanni, Betty Shabazz, Francesca Lia Block, Phylicia Rashād etc. and hopefully one day, I'll be able retire among that notable cluster of stars, not only for my accomplishments in this life, but for my impact on humanity.

Resources:


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I think that's an incredibly noble goal to have. I've heard the word feminist nonstop ever since entering college. Every woman, professor, student, I've met there consider themselves to be feminist and though I love a lot of their attributes, I wouldn't consider myself to wholly be feminist but I respect the women who do. Including you. This was a beautiful piece. And as I did on instagram, I like this photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I've heard it, just not as much as I do now. I think you are...you just have to write your own definition for it. I'm probably not the standard, but I am one in my own right. = )

      Delete
  2. I think a "feminist" ideal was kind of ingrained in us (my sister and I) growing up. My parents would say "you are a double-minority, a black girl-- you have to work extra hard" so we strove to make the best grades and be the best in our arts and our sports--because we were never going to get the same recognition that the boys did if we weren't at least twice as good. All that to say: I've been team girl-power for as long as I could remember. I never call myself a feminist (just because it never occurs to me to do so) but based on your definition--I want to be that woman too. I think we all should to an extent. This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions