Monday, January 27, 2014

How to Handle Rejection

{Disclaimer: I don't necessarily agree with the caption on this image, because I strongly believe in the law of attraction and I think becoming immune to a condition or an event only continues to attract that very thing into your existence, but I liked it for the sake of its relation to this post and humor purposes only.}


There are many times in life when we allow rejection to stifle us, paralyzing our ability to see pass a closed door and move beyond those circumstances.  This feeling causes many people to fear the possibilities of worst case scenarios and because of that, they never try and/or stop believing in themselves.  I have been in that position many times throughout the course of my life in different areas and I've found that, over time, I've only gotten better at handling things such as rejection. Therefore, I've created this sort of guide, building on concepts I'm still learning and I hope some of you are able to apply them to different situations that you may encounter in the future.
  1. Ask. Is this really the worst that could happen? The answer is simple: probably not.  Unfortunately, there are potentially worse things that could happen.  The best option is to be grateful that you were bold enough, courageous enough to go after it, whatever 'it' may be, in the first place.  
  2. Breathe. Usually it's anxiety filling our heads up with false pretense that the world has ended; it's hasn't and it won't. Allow yourself to feel the sting. After doing that for 5 minutes maximum, inhale, exhale, let it go, and resort back to your center. 
  3. Read The Four Agreements by: Don Miguel Ruiz and apply rule #2: Don't take anything personally. Even when it comes to relationships, most of the time break-ups have less to do with you and more to do with what that person is dealing with internally. 
  4. Carry on. Suppose your dream job emailed you a rejection letter or your boss didn't approve of the brilliant pitch that you and your team worked so hard on? So what? Count it as a lesson, not a loss, and keep it moving. Now is the perfect time to re-evaluate, revise, and try again.  Who knows...next time could very well be your lucky shot.  
  5. Realize the reason. There is a saying that goes 'Take advantage of every opportunity' but every opportunity presented to you is not always yours to take. Just the same, every pretty package doesn't hold something good inside. What God (the universe) has for you is for you and distinguishing the differences between an opportunity and your opportunity is all about prayer, discernment, and being ready. Lastly, it's vital to realize that everything happens for a reason.
  6. Perception. A few notable authors and philosophers have agreed that it's normally not about what happens to us, but rather, our response to what happens to us. "Perception is 9/10 of the law."
  7. Maintain the cool.  Never lose your dignity over a 'no'. Even if it is heartbreaking, nothing is worth losing your sanity. Hold your head high and (see #2) .
That's all I have for now. If you have anything else to add, please feel free to leave it in the comment section for others to see. Tell me: what ways have you discovered works best for you when you run into adversity of some sort?  I'd love to hear different perspectives because we are all hear to learn from each other!

besos,
Chymere Anais
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I really needed this post like 3 weeks ago lol I was so into my feelings and I don't think it was either a bad or good part about my situation, I just didn't get a "straight" answer. But I guess I can settle with that..... for now. Great Advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Valla and I are on the same page haha. I could've also used this a few weeks ago but thankfully I'm not the girl I once was because I think I immediately sunk into #3 because it is soooo true, you really can't take rejection personally. Everyone has a right to like what they like and feel how they feel and it has absolutely nothing to do with you, that's when ego gets in the way yet again.

    As for your question, I always allow myself a little time to feel sorry for myself and then I adeptly begin the #7 tip you gave because let's face it, it's the not the end of the world :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig