Saturday, February 22, 2014

Soundtrack Saturdays: Vol. 88 {Homage to Hip-Hop}

This week I was jamming out heavy to the hip hop classics, such as Tupac and Nas (I'm a huge fan of both) and I was inspired to create a play list of my all time faves from this genre, new and old.  All day Friday, cleaning up, I was in a zone of pleasant nostalgia. People never believe me, but I did grow up in a bad neighborhood, therefore a lot of what rappers spoke about, I could relate to. 

My parents-well my mom-tried to shelter me from rap growing up (my dad is a hip-hop/jazz head). I had no business knowing Tupac lyrics at age 7, but hip-hop was so hypnotic and powerful in the 90's, early 2000s and in some cases, is still very much alive.  Anytime the opportunity presented itself to get lost in that world, I had to "rebel"; it was my escape. Eventually, mom realized that I had no desire to wear the rose colored sunglasses of music all the time.

Rap didn't influence me to go out to do anything crazy, because I really didn't see it in a negative light.  They were poetic stories full of knowledge, power, social/political consciousness and an overall expression of freedom and struggle.  At its best, hip-hop is an art form that serves as an escape from oppression, consequently transforming the negatives into something constructive, and despite all the bad rep, that will always be beautiful to me.

And so, this play list was born as a homage to hip-hop.
♥ Chymere A.


  1. Rule x Nas (Amerie)
  2. Renegade x Jay Z (Eminem)
  3. Slum Beautiful x Outkast
  4. Brave Heart x Lupe Fiasco (Poo Bear)
  5. Dear Mama x Tupac
  6. To Live and Die in L.A. x Tupac
  7. Warrior Song x Nas (Alicia Keys)
  8. Unconditional Love x Tupac
  9. Form Follows Function x Lupe Fiasco
  10. All About You x Tupac
  11. Jazzy Belle x Outkast
  12. Beautiful x Damian Marley
  13. How Do U Want It x Tupac (K-Ci and JoJo)
  14. Leaders x Nas and Damian Marley 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions