Wednesday, February 12, 2014

WildflowersUnscripted | DAY #12: Praise a Person

Me and my dad don't always see eye to eye. 
Mother darling says it's because we're so much alike.
Sure he has his flaws; we all do.  Maybe it's not so bad that I take on his light as well as his shadows.

From day one, he continues to do the best he knows how to do sans having an example of a father in his life or any real clue about how to raise a daughter.  Given the resources-or lack thereof rather-he did an exceptional job, if I must say so myself.

Whenever I forget my worth, as I do from time to time, he reminds me...that I am beautiful. I am resilient. I am fearfully and wonderfully made by the designer of this magnificent universe.

I can never expect for any man to come along and treat me like my dad treats me and my mom. Unfortunately, no one will ever be able to achieve that standard, but if they come close, even halfway, I'd be happy.  And that's what he wants for me.

And I know it would've been easier to have left, but thank God he chose to stay...
No matter how much I take him for granted,
no matter how much I didn't take tough love the way he intended,
no matter how many low blows I threw at him with my words of anger and thrashing attitude...
He made a vow to not neglect his own family like his dad did, and he's kept that promise to himself and to us. Now that I'm older, I am mature enough to see just how much he sacrificed so that I would experience a better life than he ever had a chance to.

I praise the person he's been to me, despite our differences, because I love him so much and I'm very lucky to have a father, who takes his role to heart.  Thank you, daddy, for being my Superman.

Chymere A.


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This is so sweet. It reminds me of myself and my dad. We are lucky to have dads that set a high standard for the future men in our lives! I love that he reminds you that you are "fearfully and wonderfully made" when you don't see it in yourself. That is so priceless. Kudos to your dad! (Also, you look too cute in your photos! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of my father too! I love the relationship we have and the bond we have despite our faults, and as you say, heads will bump because of how much you are subconsciously alike. I think that's a truly beautiful thing because I hear such uplifting things about mamas (because let's face it, they tend to do right) but to hear uplifting things about fathers is a great sight to see especially in our community where "deadbeat" is often used in lieu of dad :)

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig