Friday, September 12, 2014

Music Collective: vol. 12 {Afri-Soca Play List}

Most mornings, my bedroom becomes a party/concert when I get ready in the morning. It's safe to say if the music is right, I am a morning person. On these days, I gravitate towards upbeat music from the African Diaspora, because it takes me to a mental space where I feel alive and extremely proud of who I am and the cultures I represent (Ghana & the Dominican Republic).  The play list I've created has a summertime vibe, which I suppose is appropriate since it still feels like summer outside. 

Brief history lesson: In case you didn't know, Soca music, shortened for 'soul of Calypso', is a popular West Indian genre that originates from Trinidad and Tobago and began in the late 60's/early 70's. Over the years, the rhythms have evolved from West Africa's kaiso music and spread all across the beautiful islands of the Caribbean.

In the comment section, let me know your favorite tunes to get ready to in the a.m. I always love to hear the music that gets people going! Whether you prefer fast or slow to start your day, hopefully, you all enjoy the play list either way:

- ♥ Chymere Anais



  1. Elele x Emma Nyra ft. Davido
  2. Carnival Tabanca x Bunji Garlin
  3. Over the Hills x Bunji Garlin
  4. Galore x Mr. Dale
  5. Bissa x Fatoumata Diawara
  6. Carnival Spirit x Patrice Roberts
  7. Authe x Phyno ft. Flavour
  8. Like No Tomorrow x Skinny Fabulous
  9. Baby Face x Don Jazzy
  10. Feel Like Dancing x Calypso Rose
  11. Keep On Rocking x Mya K. ft. May D.
  12. Just a Little Bit x Destra
  13. Soca Run Town x Bunji Garlin
  14. Party All Night x Shatta Wale ft. Jah Vinci
+ For more hand-picked music selections, browse through the archives H E R E. +
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions