Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Louder Than Words (Justice for...All, Pt. II)

When I first heard the news, my heart fell to the bottom of my chest. Once again, justice did not prevail. Images of hurt, fearful nation flashed on the television. A lawless country at war erupted right before my eyes and all I could see was a dismantled reenactment of The Purge. I felt hopeless. What now? 

Trying to ignore the pain, the horror, the utter distaste in my mouth, I continued business as usual the next day, but I knew it wouldn't be long before the opportunity to speak up resurfaced.  Even though a fire was lit on my insides, I didn't want to say anything out of anger. I didn't want to get into the endless, recycled debates about the problem(s) at hand; I only wanted to be apart of the solution. I wanted to DO something.

As expected, the chance to educate presented itself in my workplace. I went with that gut tug and started a conversation among a diverse group of young athletes, all looking at me for some sort of guidance. Their eyes were so full of wonder and hope. They waited patiently for me to speak and probably not expecting what was coming.  

It was overwhelming to discover how many of them were unaware. Breaking down the events surrounding Mike Brown was important enough for me to risk losing my job, because they needed to know. They are the leaders of tomorrow and how can they reshape the world we live in without knowing what is taking place? Slowly, but surely, I watched the hopefulness fade from their stares, semi-crushed, feeling like I stole pieces of their innocence. As much as it hurt me, I knew I did the right thing.  

I do apologize for stealing your rose colored goggles. 

I said all that to say: you are not as helpless as you think you are. Social media is a powerful tool, but it's not enough to just sit on our soapbox all day and pretend to be activist. Public protest is an awesome way to allow you voice to be heard, but there are more effective ways to seek the necessary attention. It begins with educating yourself and passing that knowledge on to others, especially the youth. I've researched ways we can all be the change we seek and put in the effort to implement justice in a system that constantly fails us. 

1. Write letters regarding your concerns to the Ferguson Police Department: 
222 S. Florissant Road
Ferguson, MO 63135

 Ph: 314-522-3100
Fx: 314-524-5290

2. Donate to the Bail and Legal Fund for Those Arrested During Ferguson Anti-Police Demonstrations

3. Tell Congress: no more weapons of war for local police.

4. Contact Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal 
201 W Capitol Ave., Rm. 330 
Jefferson City, Missouri 65101 
O: (573) 751-4106 
F: (573) 751-0467

5. Contact the Missouri House of Representatives 
201 West Capitol Avenue Room 116-5
Jefferson City MO 65101 
Phone: 573-751-0855

6. Send your support and love to the family of Mike Brown: 
via: NAACP

7. Start your own movement.
We are the generation of dreamers, artist, creators, influencers where the brilliance of technology and innovation is only getting better. How can you use your talents and influence to help steer people in a positive direction? What can you do to contribute the the solution?

Surely, there are other ways to be apart of the solution. There is so much you can do, so much you can find to do through mediums such as Google. Every action you take matters. Every tweet, blog post, status, etc. matters. Never think you are too small or insignificant to enact or provoke change. Above all, we need to pray and to put our faith in God (a higher power than ourselves), rather than world systems and men. 

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. It really is a shame that this is perpetuated. Simply killing people is not the answer. I hope we get to justice for our brothers and sisters.

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions