Friday, January 23, 2015

Let's Plant a Garden

"Give people flowers while they have an opportunity to smell them."  -Unknown
Recently, I had an outburst of appreciation and admiration for all the amazing people in my life. Let me tell you why...

The other day, I was conversing with a good friend of mine, while he was preparing for a job interview for a position he'd been hoping for. Despite him trying to play it cool and modest over the phone, I could hear the excitement in his tone of voice. We laughed about how fluently he was able to negotiate or talk his way out of any sign of trouble in college, how, initially, I couldn't stand how obnoxiously confident he was (and still is), and how both qualities - when channeled correctly - would be beneficial to his future career path. However, when the joking died down a bit and the air became silent, for the first time in 8 years of knowing him, I sensed a hint of nervousness about playing in the big leagues. Reassuring him that he'd be fine and wishing him the best of luck through the entire process, I couldn't help but to be so proud of him, because I know that he works extremely hard and had been waiting patiently for an opportunity like this to open up for him post-grad.  

I told that particular story to emphasize the importance of keeping people around who are not only self-motivated, but indirectly motivate you to become a better person. It's strange the way my circle is set up; I've always felt like the wayward black sheep of every one I am close to. Despite feeling like that, not once have they faulted me for "not keeping up" with them or for choosing my own path in life. Instead, they've always been there to encourage, pray for, and inspire me, without ever being condescending and judgmental. We never try to out shine each other. It's both phenomenal and empowering to have friends that elevate you higher, simply by making moves and reaching new levels in their own life, and it's such a blessing that I never forget to count.

Chasing dreams is like planting a garden. In order for the flowers, vegetables, fruits, etc. to grow properly, the foundation, first and foremost has to be set. The environment must have suitable conditions in order to achieve positive and long lasting results.  Apart of the process of gardening is making sure your garden has the space it needs to thrive. That's exactly what you're creating for your dreams when you intentionally surround yourself with positive energy and people who believe in and support those dreams.

This could very well be another self love post to save for SLS, but today it's not about me at all. Today, I just wanted to take the time to reiterate how vital it is to hold tightly to genuine friendships; to tell you how important it is to cherish those people who, without a shadow of doubt, will be around for the long haul. And if any of my friends are reading this, just know that I have so much love and respect for all of you, new and old. Let's plant a garden and watch it be magical.

♥ @ChymereA



SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Yes to us, our magic, and the people in our lives that attract and reflect that as well. Let's plant a garden :)

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions