Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Music Collective: vol. 24 {Albums of the Moment + The February Mix Tape}

Every year, I look forward to the album releases of new faces and old favorites; it's like Christmas for my beating heart. Musically, 2015 is already off to a pretty positive start, especially seeing that old, personal favorites (i.e. Lupe Fiasco) are back on the music scene, renewing my deep-rooted love for them as an artist. If I have a hard time getting into hearing new music on the radio, that's when I can depend on Soundcloud and/or tumblr to discover a new sound to listen to. Sidebar: Rumor has it that Corinne Bailey Rae and Ameriie are both making comebacks this year, so I'm really anticipating the possibility of that happening.

Albums I'm Currently Loving: 
  1. Tetsuo & Youth - Lupe Fiasco: I've always been a huge supporter/fan of Lupe, but I admit, he lost me a little when Lasers dropped back in 2011. So of course, my number one favorite album at the moment is Tetsuo and Youth, because I absolutely L O V E this album. (( Read the full review H E R E ---> ))
  2. Non-fiction - Ne-Yo: As much as I adore Ne-yo, this album was a bit predictable. However, it has more than enough gems on it to keep me, as a fan, satisfied. In his case, predictability can be a good thing.
  3. The Pinkprint - Nicki Minaj: To be completely honest, this one came as a surprise, because I've never been a hardcore "post-mainstream" Nicki fan. Even though she has a more polished image these days, which I love, I'm seeing more raw talent and she's been slowly winning my heart again.
The February Mix Tape:
  1. Stuck x Oshun: I don't remember how I came across their music, but the two young ladies that make up this phenomenal, NYC based duet won my heart instantly. Also, this song couldn't have showed up at a more perfect time; it literally belongs on the soundtrack of my life.
  2. Jump Hi x Lion Babe ft. Childish Gambino: The first song I ever heard by duo Lion Babe was Jungle Lady. My friend Sheriden introduced me to Lion Babe via her blog not too long ago and I was smitten. Also love: Little Dreamer
  3. Wind Blows x Kristen Walker: I stumbled across this track via tumblr and I can't get enough of it. Although I don't know much about the Bajan singer/songwriter herself, that voice is enchanting and I will be keeping an ear out for more. 
  4. You Are Luhh x Frank Ocean (cover): It was also Sheriden who told me about Frank Ocean's cover of The Isley Brothers/Aaliyah At Your Best when I inquired about where Frank Ocean has been hiding. How could I expect it to be any less than amazing? It was everything and I could appreciate that it was released on what would have been Aaliyah's 36th birthday. 
  5. Mustang x Ameriie: Although this song was released last year, I would still consider this to be new in 2015, since it was released at the end of December. I absolutely love the carefree-ness in this song and lyrics that I can relate so closely to. 
  6. Ray Gun x Ghostface Killah ft. MF DOOM: Explaining my love for this song is more difficult, but I think the video is what brought me there/here. MF DOOM intrigues me and he, along with Ghostface Killah are in that cluster of what I consider to be legendary hip-hop, so any collaborative of these two would be a winner for me. 
  7. Gone x The Internet ft. Syd: If you're familiar with my music collection at this point, despite how eclectic it may be, you'd know I love what some would call "stoner music". I just love the chill ambiance of it. This song has that kind of vibe, which is very typical of The Internet and Odd Future as a whole.
  8. Ocean Floor Kisses x Galimatias: Back in October 2014, I became obsessed with Fantasy by Alina Baraz and Galimatias, a song featured on The October Mix Tape, no. III. Recently, I stumbled across Ocean Floor Kisses and knew this playlist would be incomplete without this beautiful song, with it's sultry melody and subtle reggae undertone. 
What are you currently listening to? 
As always, if you have any music recommendations, feel free to leave your suggestions in the comment section; I'm all ears! 

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Currently listening to Hozier's album. Loving it! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL. WHY is J. Cole's album not on this list?!!!!!! Go to itunes right now, hand over those 9 dollars and buy Forest Hill Drive. I'm not huge into rap, I first bought it just because J. Cole has been extremely socially conscious and a great activist lately, but after listening to it I really do love it.

    Also, if you like Ameriie did you know she has a youtube channel? She talks about books and beauty, and it's really quite nice. She seems down to earth and very sweet.

    Z. | J. POTTER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I heard it. Wasn't that impressed, honestly.

      And yes. I'm subscribed lol

      Delete
  3. ah yassss, i love your music posts.
    can't wait to give all these a listen.
    currently, i've been listening to older albums as i can't stand what's going on with music these days.
    today it was john legend's "get lifted" and "college dropout" by kanye.
    so high being the song the most played today, haha.

    :)
    vanessa

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions