Friday, March 27, 2015

Music Collective: vol. 29 {To Pimp a Butterfly}

"...And while this album does have a philosophy to divulge, Kendrick doesn't skimp on the music on this album. He realizes that making music is about the music; if the music under your message is garbage, the music is garbage..."
-Anthony Fantano, The Needle Drop

image source.
Musically, 2015 is off to a great start; this is something we all know to be true. I'm beyond amazed by the truth and story telling that is resurrecting hip-hop to its rightful place. Please excuse how long it has taken me to do this review. It takes a while for me to do a full album review, because it's an extensive process that involves press play of the album, a discography listening session, and then a track by track break down. Also, for whatever reason, I have to wait until I buy the hard copy first to "finalize" my review. Like I said, it's a process. Low and behold, the wait is over and I'm finally here to do my review of Kendrick Lamar's latest project, To Pimp a Butterfly.

To Pimp a Butterfly was the follow-up to Kendrick's second studio album released in 2012, Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City, a compilation that reflected on a young man's Compton, California upbringing. Despite how long Kendrick had been on the music scene at that point, I believe that was the album put him on the map in regards to mainstream hip-hop; his audience literally sky rocketed. Apparently, with fame came a lot of inner turmoil and you can absolutely feel every bit of that bottled up aggression he's been holding in for the past 3 years in every second of this project.

Click here to read the full review on The Sky Box Suite
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Perfect review. I sensed a biblical reference in "HMADC" too but I couldn't put my finger on it! I've ran across discussions on how some were rather disappointed that "Mortal Man" kind of "spoils" the album. Not because the track itself isn't good but because it takes away interpretation from the listener. He gives us the meaning rather than allowing those to figure out ourselves. In a way I can see that but I also think that was necessary for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend suggested I give this a listen and I'm so glad I did. It's a masterpiece, imo. Love this review, you're so eloquent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendrick Lamar, Kendrick Lamar, Kendrick Lamar. He is amazing, his work is on another level. I had the read the rap genius break down of "How Much a Dollar Cost" to understand what was going on and when I did, I was able to listen to it again with new ears of understanding the story. One of my favorite tracks is "U", it's intense, dark, but so REAL. When Kendrick is rapping 'drunk' and essentially displaying to the world his deepest and darkest moments, I couldn't help but feel moved. His words after the interview with Pac where he breaks down the whole story of a butterfly and caterpillar connected the whole album together for me. This will definitely be one I share with my kids one day. Great review on it!

    -- Mel // www.marevoli.com

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions