Friday, March 13, 2015

Redirecting Energies + Art Studio Inspiration

Lately, my mind has been going a million miles per minute, especially at night and spilling over into the next morning.  At some point in the sleepless hours, I find myself wanting to create something-anything-but I sometimes, I don't know what to create or how to go about creating whatever "it" is or fails to be. The harder I think about it, the less inspired I become, and the spark eventually dies. I hate when this happens and I think it's something any creative can relate to any time they feel stuck. Needless to say, I haven't been thriving creatively. The juices flow naturally, but the production doesn't always match, and just like any other time I'm faced with an obstacle of sorts, I get to decide how I want to redirect my energy.

Both the technical and artistic aspect of design always excites me. In a way, it helps me stay focused and calms my anxiety. So in the midst of re-channeling my energies, I looked at the small corner in my room and began to think of my ideal work space, careful to not be so distracted by daydreams that I forgot to be present and thankful for what I have.  I thought of everything from measurements and contrasting elements to furniture and decor. After framing the ideal aesthetics and dimensions in my head, I played around with some software (that I mostly use for school) to watch it come to life. Surprisingly enough, thinking of the possibilities even gave me the little motivation I needed to get work done that I'd been putting off all week.

Dream Office

As you can see, like most millennials, I gravitate towards the minimal look. That has less to do with trend and more to do with functionality, because I'd want a room that has enough square footage to double as a creative studio/office and a closet/beauty room. Also, I'm a pretty organized person and it's hard for me to think with too much clutter around. For this space, I don't want to avoid color/prints completely, so accessorizing is important. I'm pretty confident I can browse consignment shops and/or build some of the furniture myself, such as the bookcase, at a much cheaper cost than actually buying it from a big name furniture store. I adore homes full of character, the ones that have varying stories to tell, so what better way to implement personality than through D.I.Y.? Of course it would take more time, essentially, but we shall see. I do, however, want things that are on the more frugal side, so I'll probably spend most of my free time this summer hunting for good deals.

For those of you who are unaware, I am in school studying architectural engineering. This semester was my first glimpse into the more creative side of my major, which has been absolutely amazing thus far. In many STEAM related fields, students adapt to what some would refer to as studio culture, where a certain range of "elbow room" is required for different projects assigned throughout the semester/quarter. Well, because the community college I currently attend doesn't offer a proper facility designated for large scale design work, I generally have to make use of available space at home or travel great distances in order to get work done. It gets to be a struggle and often times anti-productive. Since this is a temporary situation all around, I try my best not to complain, but I am so thankful to be leaving soon.  As far as moving out goes, I won't be moving into my dream loft per se, but God-willing I'll be able to find a suitable oasis I love that is just as efficient and inspiring.  I'll keep you guys posted in regards to my living arrangements, relocation, and all that jazz.

What about you...do you currently work in your ideal office? What does your dream work space look like? Paint a picture for me in the comment section below, so that we can inspire each other!




SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Your ideal office looks like a dream. I have a home office but it's not at all my "ideal", haha. It's super messy and unorganized. I'm moving soon so hopefully that will be an opportunity to de-clutter and decorate it the way I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ideal office looks like a dream. I have a home office but it's not at all my "ideal", haha. It's super messy and unorganized. I'm moving soon so hopefully that will be an opportunity to de-clutter and decorate it the way I want to.

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions