Wednesday, April 8, 2015

To the Man Who Taught Me How to Love Myself


Me and my dad don't always see eye to eye. Mother darling says it's because we're so much alike. Sure he has his flaws; we all do. Maybe it's not so bad that I take on his light as well as his shadows.
From day one, he continues to do the best he knows how to do sans having an example of a father in his life or any real clue about how to raise a daughter. Given the resources-or lack thereof rather-he did an exceptional job, if I must say so myself. Whenever I forget my worth, as I do from time to time, he reminds me...that I am beautiful. I am resilient. I am fearfully and wonderfully made by the designer of this magnificent universe.
I can never expect for any man to come along and treat me like my dad treats me and my mom. Unfortunately, no one will ever be able to achieve that standard, but if they come close, even halfway, I'd be happy. And that's what he wants for me.
And I know it would've been easier to have left, but thank God he chose to stay... No matter how much I take him for granted, no matter how much I didn't take tough love the way he intended, no matter how many low blows I threw at him with my words of anger and thrashing attitude... He made a vow to not neglect his own family like his dad did, and he's kept that promise to himself and to us. Now that I'm older, I am mature enough to see just how much he sacrificed so that I would experience a better life than he ever had a chance to.
I praise the person he's been to me, despite our differences, because I love him so much and I'm very lucky to have a father, who takes his role to heart. Thank you, daddy, for being my Superman.

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Awww happy birthday surrogate dad! What a lovely gift. Beautiful piece Chymere. He looks at you as if he's holding his world :)

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions