Friday, April 8, 2016

Music Collective: vol. 43 {#FlashbackFridays + On the Radar}

Lately, I've pretty much been pre-occupied and quite satisfied, might I add- with listening to the same 3 albums in rotation:
  • We are King - King
  • Too High to Riot - Bas
  • The Life of Pablo - Kanye West 
As well as the collaborative project released earlier this month from Big Sean and Jhené Aiko, Twenty88 EP, all of which I will be reviewing on the blog very soon (wait for it...):

Aside from that, here's a short list of songs I've been listening to in between time:
More recently, however, my mood has switched to circa 2010/2011 hip-hop and R&B. Those were both very positive years, where the best and the worst of times occurred pretty simultaneously. Feeling a certain nostalgic wave come over me, I decided to compile a play list of songs that remind of some of the best and worst times of my life to date:


1. 'Moment 4 Life' is probably one of my favorite Nicki/Drake collaborations. By this time, Ms. Onika had already started making her mark in the industry, but I think this was the year I really fell in love with her and gained a new respect for her as a MC. If I recall correctly, 2010 was the year that Young Money took over the hip-hop music scene and so many of the songs that emerged from them were pretty much the soundtrack of entire my summer that year. Ah...good times.


2. Otis is what I would consider to be a new age classic that emerged from 'Watch the Throne', which is still one of the biggest hip-hop collaborations to this day. With a rather bold sampling of the late Otis Redding and boastful, bigger than life egos, it's such a fun reminder of this dynasty the two have been able to build up over the years.


3. 'My Last' is yet another song I played in heavy rotation when it came out. By this time, I was already a fan of Big Sean. I always enjoy their stage presence individually and think they really bring a new dimension to their performances together. I also loved the party scene of this video, because I was convinced that they were genuinely having a good time. 


4. 'Ambitious Girl' was definitely every girl's theme song that year. It was something like an homage to a young lady who works hard for her success, a story told from a young man's point of view. Wale was another artist that kind of made a breakthrough in 2010 and 2011.

5. Tightrope isn't necessarily hip-hop; it's really just an upbeat, feel good song with positive message. Janelle Monae was also one of the underground artist who made a breakthrough into mainstream listening around this time, even though by this time, it had been a couple of years after she signed to Bad Boy records. Pulling her good friend and mentor Big Boi to feature just added to what I already love about this track.

What are some of your favorite tunes that remind you of a specific time in your life?
♥ @ChymereA
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig