Thursday, June 23, 2016

S u m m e r 2 0 1 6 : Books + Ambitions


At the beginning of the year, I underestimated my ability to completely ignore the books I promised to finish before July stacked on the top of my desk, glaring at me day in and day out. And it was less about how much free time I actually had and more about lacking the desire to actually read. The first book I picked up was around May 31st, I read all of 2 or 3 pages, and sat it right back to collect dust with the others. The year's stress is just starting to subside enough for me to find the patience to sit revisit this list once again. Because it's summer, I'm leaning towards more light reads. 

'Black Cool' is a collection of short essays, so that's been a breeze to sort through, loving it so far. Still waiting on my turn to finally get a hold of 'Between the World and Me' (and it better live up to the hype). The remaining two, 'In the Country We Love' and 'The New Cool' are substantially larger in volume, so I probably won't start those until the end of July.  All that being said, here are the 4 books on my summer reading list: 

Books:

  1. 'Between the World and Me' by: Ta-Nehisi Coates
  2. 'Black Cool: One Thousand Streams of Blackness' by: Rebecca Walker
  3. 'The New Cool' by: Neal Bascomb
  4. 'In the Country We Love' by: Diane Guerrel
...as well as a simple list of goals to accomplish before summer's end, listing the first goal as the most important and the ones to follow in random order of importance, because HELLO, I need to be on somebody's beach as soon as possible. What's summer without the ocean? 

Ambitions: 

  • Take a road trip to the beach
  • Vegetarian journey (tracking from 05.01.16) 
  • Purchase my domain
  • Consistently create fresh content for this blog and HBCU Buzz
  • Create more freelance opportunities for myself
  • Master the art of having fun without over-spending: spend less, save more

What are you reading and accomplishing in S u m m e r 2 0 1 6 ?
As always, book recomendations are welcomed and greatly appreciated here! 

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Chy, I SWEAR I'm going to finish at least two books this summer. I'm almost ashamed to even mention the amount of books I've read versus how many I've been able to read in the previous years. Between the World and Me is on my list for the summer as well as Things Fall Apart. Hopefully I can read more than just two. *Sigh

    As far as recommendations, I'm pretty sure you've probably already read The Alchemist, but that's usually the first book I recommend to every one. I'd also recommend Jay Z's Decoded, The Healing by Johnathan Odell, and Wench by Dolan Perkins. And I haven't gotten through this one all the way, but Zahir by Paulo Coelho may interest you as well.

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions