Monday, June 6, 2016

Why Black Girls Are Magic

Image cred.: Anastasia and Regis , via tumblr.
"Magic is dynamic energy and explosive happiness.
-Amandla Stenberg

On the night of June 5, 2016, I-along with black girls around the world-went wild on varying social media platforms anticipating who would be crowned Miss USA 2016. We sat anxiously in front of our respective television screens, voting for our favorite between Miss Georgia (Emanii Davis), Miss Hawaii (Chelsea Hardin), and Miss District of Columbia (Deshauna Barber). Finally, the winner was annouced and I could have sworn the entire earth exploded in that moment, or at least that was the sensation I felt in my heart. 

Besides her being absolutely stunning physically, what struck my attention about Deshauna Barber was that she exhibits a certain standard of balance, in the most sophisticated way possible. Having a background in the U.S. military as logistics commander for the 988th Quartermaster Detachment Unit in Fort Meade, Maryland and IT expert for the U.S. Department of commerce, she epitomizes the duality of brains and beauty. It always makes me so proud to see black women win in major ways, so I couldn't imagine what her family and close friends must have felt when her name was announced.

Hayes, Chymere A.
HBCUbuzz.com, 5 Jun. 2016

After the program went off and I updated my social media accounts accordingly, I sat down with my computer to finish this post that has been sitting in my drafts for months, because who wouldn't be inspired?  There is some kind of magical force that happens when I have the opportunity to witness black excellence in any capacity; it doesn't matter if it's listening to First Lady Michelle Obama giving a commencement speech at Howard University or watching swimmer Simone Manual compete for a spot on the USA Swimming Olympics team, the motivation is all the same. Learning these people's success stories is an important aspect of keeping my energy clear and my creativity charged. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, only recognizing the glory pulls me back into the dangerous habit of comparison, so knowing what people go through, especially black women, reminds me to keep going. 

It resonates so deep when a black woman wins, simply because representation matters and seeing someone who looks like me work hard against adversity creates positive images in my mind of what life can be if I'm dilligent about what I want to achieve. The belief system that Black Lives Matter doesn't ommit the fact that other people with different ethnic and cultural backgrounds work hard too; it's just something supernatural about seeing people who have been told what they can't do be resillient enough to show the world what they can do.  That's why black girls are magic and will continue to break the cycles, defy tradition, and fight the odds 2016 and beyond.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig