Thursday, July 14, 2016

City Finds | 20 Black Owned Business in the Metro-Atlanta Area


As a woman of color, I find myself constantly engaged in conversations about how to improve our communities and re-establish the role we play in society. In lieu of the Black Lives Matter movement, it's not difficult to recognize the many different ways we thrive and where our strengths are, but it's sometimes easier to focus more on the disconnects in our community by acknowledging the areas in which we fail. 

There is such an overwhelming burst of pride anytime I walk into an establishment and discover that it is black-owned, because they aren't always outwardly obvious finds. It also reminds me of the pride I felt learning that my great-grandfather owned a grocery store during an era in southern America where black men weren't allowed in most-if not all-public facilities. More than anything, I want us to get back to that, not to create more segregation or keep people out, but so that we are not depending upon the financial establishments of those who oppress us.

As a way to demonstrate and implore the on-going support of black entrepreneurs who are making positive strides in the economy, some of which are friends, peers, and personal mentors, I've compiled a list of 20 black owned business in the metro-Atlanta area:  
  1. DeKalb Aquatics: Melissa Wilborn
  2. J.W. Robinson & Associates:
  3. Apache Cafe
  4. The Atlanta Voice Newspaper: Janis L. Ware
  5. S.Council Law Firm, LLC: Shirnelle Council, Esq.
  6. Mercedes-Benz of Buckhead: Gregory and Juanita Baranco 
  7. Jackson Acura, Roswell: Harvey L. Jackson
  8. C.D. Moody Construction Co.: C. David Moody, Jr.
  9. Get LumaDr. Paul Judge and Mike Van 
  10. Premier Academy: Cindra Taylor 
  11. Well Groomed Male: Troy King
  12. Gladys Knight’s & Ron Winan’s Chicken & Waffles: Gladys Knight and Shanga Hankerson
  13. Uptown Comedy Corner
  14. Khatameyic: Tabia Clinkscale
  15. Busy Bee Cafe: Lucy Jackson
  16. Paschal’s Restaurant: James and Robert Pascha
  17. The Major Gallery: Nija Major
  18. 1st Choice Credit Union
  19. H.J. Russell & Co.: Herman J. Russell
  20. The Beehive ATL: Malene Davis
If you're from or familiar with the city of Atlanta and know of any other businesses that should be added, I encourage you to keep building and adding the list! In your area, what are some black business or ones with a positive cause geared towards minority groups? I love to travel, so I'm always looking to explore new local businesses to support. 

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I tried Busy Bee for the first time last week, and I was blown away by how delicious it was! Seriously the best fried chicken I've had in my entire life. It sucks that they're closed on Saturdays... but then again maybe that's for the best. Trying to avoid clogged arteries lol.

    Also, Apache used to be my spot when I was in college. I used to go at least once a week for the open mic nights with one of my best friends. Even when I had to be at work by 7am, I was still up at Apache until like 2am! Good times :)

    ReplyDelete

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions