Wednesday, February 1, 2017

01. a different world


Most of us are familiar with the popular 90's sitcom, 'A Different World'. Loaded with references and nods to the HBCU experience and full of characters we could easily relate to. Back then, my favorite was Freddie Brooks and Denise Huxtable. When the new class came to Hillman, I became a huge fan of Lena James. However, as I binge watch the series in full, now that it's on Netflix, I'm beginning to see the show in a brand new light. 

It wasn't until I was older that I was able to relate to a really understated character in my opinion, Jaleesa Vinson-Taylor, a character played by Dawn Lewis, who was much older and more experienced than her fellow peers. After going through a tough divorce and probably a few failed attempts at trying to make it in the real world as a black woman without a degree, she made the decision to return back to college. Of course, she got a lot of side-eyes and negative attention at first, but it never stopped her from doing what she came to do. And eventually, the ones who questioned her position were the same ones who had the utmost respect for her when it was all said and done. This is why she is now me. 

Returning to school is something that I tend to overthink and end up feeling defeated about. Somehow, watching this show again made me revisit all times I told myself 'it's never too late', yet allowing my doubts and insecurities get the best of me...or allowing others to influence decisions that I have to make myself. I have to remember that it's not a race, that some of us take longer to get our lives together and that's OK. That's why it's nice to have little reminders to stay focused and keep going.

{This post is a part of the #WhenSilenceSpeaks writing challenge, hosted by 
GG Renee of All the Many Layers.} 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Chymere Anais | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by Chymere A./Sky Box Suite Creative Solutions